GOOD AND BAD EXPERIENCE ONBOARD SHIP


On September 2015 I boarded my flight from Kenya to Dubai then on to Kish,Iran.  From here I would join MV DINA for my first sea phase. Leaving my loved ones at the airport is probably the hardest thing I have had to do in a long time. Up until I reached the bottom of the gangway ladder, I had to haul my bag up the whole way and it had burst after about 2 steps. I was starting to feel like this wasn't going to go well. However, I was soon greeted by an incredibly welcoming crew and any hesitations I had disappeared. Everyone were very friendly and I already felt like I was part of the team.

BAD EXPERIENCE
As a deck cadet, being onboard ship was not only tough physically but mentally as well. Dealing continuously with conflicting opinions, racing nerves, and altering egos, a mariner fortunately or unfortunately falls prey to a system, wherein molding according to a situation becomes imperative. Unlike in other fields, professional politics on ship can sometimes take a form too ugly to fathom.

With bad experience, I got to enter a Water Ballast tank for the first time. Enclosed spaces are one of the most dangerous aspects of shipping. Despite this, I was excited to enter the tank. Chief Officer took myself and fellow Deck Cadet went down whilst the Pumpman carried out some maintenance work. I not only found it interesting but beneficial to see the inside of a tank as ‘Ship Architecture’ was a subject in college I struggled with at times. This insight cleared up any confusion and a lot of the terms I had learned finally made complete sense.

Another day at anchorage was one of the hardest day work I have ever undertook physically. The third officer John needed all of the fire hoses on the ship collected from around the accommodation; the engine room and the deck so they could be pressure tested to check for leaks or damage. I hauled all of the hoses to the poop deck and was glad of having 3rd Engineer’s help when it came to collecting the hoses from the oven: that is the engine room. We tested all of the hoses in the afternoon and after isolating the few faulty hoses had to return all of the hoses to their positions. Later on I was taught how to repair the few hoses with leaks, so I got to learn a valuable skill as well as get a decent workout.

Encountering extreme temperatures of about 47 degrees celcius was also one of the bad experience while transitting through Iranian waters.While under familiarization inside engine room,it was so hot that one of the oiler on duty got heat stroke. With rising temperature, I wasn’t vigilant about the dangers of heat exhaustion and heat stroke by maintaining safe working hot temperatures. I panicked when I saw his red, dry and damp skin and dizziness. Immediately,the patient got wrapped in a cold, wet sheet, which is kept wet until the temperature has fallen to 38°C. His airway was left open and and in few moments he was well.

GOOD EXPERIENCE
We’ve all read the quote “The way to man’s heart is through his stomach”. Well, it definitely holds strong on board. Seeing a good meal laid out on the table gives every man immense joy. And what sailor wouldn’t be happy with a steaming plate of freshly prepared food right before/after his watch!

A luxury that is not applicable to maritime professionals, a day off on board is something that brings with it immense joy and anticipation. A rare occurrence onboard, an off day gives most seafarers a much-required day away from work and responsibilities. Waking up late and lazing around in the cabin all day are small pleasures that come by once in a while and end up as a major refreshment of the body and mind for the seafarer.

The ubiquitous parties on board are the sorts of thing every seafarer loves. Be it Christmas, New Year, someone’s birthday or maybe just a good day; a good party on board makes each and everyone happy. Be it the meat that is barbecued to perfection out in the open while the ship cuts through the Atlantic/Pacific breeze or the loud blast coming out of the speakers to which every sailor dances his heart out- the party is the time when camaraderie and mutual affection reaches an all new high! Apart from the officer on watch (who HAS to keep away from the pleasantries due to obvious responsibility, along with the Captain and the Chief Engineer), it is a given that almost everyone lets their hair down in those few hours. And do not judge us; it is not your average party out at night on shore, dressed sharp and hair gelled to the tip, reeking cologne all over! No, this is another grade; one of outlet and general revelry.

Comments

Popular Posts